Our client is operationalizing the largest Earth-exploration mission in human history. They’re doing that by developing robotics & software to explore, map, and classify the entirety of Earth's ocean floor. The oceans are a critical component of climate stabilization. Our hope is to provide critical subsea data and infrastructure to further understand and predict the fundamental forces that support harmonious human existence on this planet.
We’re looking for an experienced DevOps engineer or SRE to lead operational technology and infrastructure choices, and to keep all our services, infrastructure, and development environments running smoothly. The engineer filling this role will have wide latitude in technology direction and will be depended upon to establish good operational foundations. Your work will encompass both robotics and cloud operations and will support both internal and external customers. You'll need to be comfortable handling a very wide range of technical work and a plethora of tools, libraries, languages, and systems. Furthermore, you will be very much an ocean engineer: motivated by a connection to our oceans, recognizing their vital roles, and finding challenge in the unique demands of ocean data.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- 5 years experience, give or take, doing challenging software engineering, DevOps, or SRE work.
- A proven ability to focus and ship.
- Has experience building and operating CI/CD pipeline components, including automated testing and deployment processes, from the ground up.
- Familiarity and fluency with geospatial concepts and open geospatial data & analysis tools.
- Has a lean mentality around building software.
- Calculatedly scrappy and clever with problem-solving.
- Strong empathy, who can self-manage in a hectic and constantly changing environment.
- Has a balance of technical perfection and speed of development.
- Lover of the ocean and has an insatiable desire for adventure and exploration.
- Doesn’t mind the last 5% of a project.
- Welcomes the opportunity of ownership and responsibility.
You are likely to encounter some or all of these tools & technologies: AWS, Postgres, GitLab CI/CD, Docker/Podman/K8S, Ansible, Datadog, and feature-flag controls. You’ll be expected to continuously evaluate the usefulness of any particular technology and to propose changes as you see fit.
This is an equity-heavy position and looking for strong personal alignment on equity desire. Additional Benefits: 80% medical, dental, & vision insurance coverage.